Thank You So Much for Your Comments, it's lovely to see you here!

Monday, 15 July 2013

Wendy Cope


© Image by Caroline Forbes

Wendy Cope

Wendy Cope (b. 1945) is a poet whose witty lyrics and pitch-perfect parodies have gained her a readership far beyond most of her peers. Born in Erith, Kent, she read History at St. Hilda's College, Oxford. She then taught in primary schools in London before becoming a freelance writer in 1986. Her debut collection, Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis, struck a chord with its lampooning of literary pretensions and its wry look at contemporary relationships, and has sold over 180,000 copies to date. Her subsequent collections - Serious Concerns in 1992 and If I Don't Know in 2001 (shortlisted for the Whitbread Poetry Award) - both confirmed her reputation as a classic English humorist whilst also allowing room for poems of a more meditative tone. She has edited several poetry anthologies, including Heaven on Earth: 101 happy poems>, and her poems for children are widely anthologised. She was made an O.B.E. in the Queen's Birthday honours 2010. She currently lives in Winchester.

Strugnell’s Bargain

My true love hath my heart and I have hers:
We swapped last Tuesday and we felt elated
But now, whenever one of us refers
To “my heart,” things get rather complicated.
Just now, when she complained “My heart is racing,”
“You mean my heart is racing,” I replied.
“That’s what I said.” “You mean the heart replacing
Your heart my love.” “Oh piss off, Jake!” she cried.
I ask you, do you think Sir Philip Sydney
Got spoken to like that? And I suspect
If I threw in my liver and a kidney
She’d still address me with as scant respect.
Therefore do I revoke my opening line:
My love can keep her heart and I’ll have mine.                                            Wendy Cope

6 comments:

The Desert Rocks said...

Great poem. I had to tweet this Carole!

Carole Anne Carr said...

She certainly is, Eve, do share :0)

Misha Gericke said...

Hahaha I love this poem. :-)

Carole Anne Carr said...

Her work is rather special, isn't it, Misha.

Susan Kane said...

"Piss off, Jake!" Awesome. And giving a kidney and a liver--now THAT is true love.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Just adore the use of the famous poem, Susan, so very clever.

 
Design and Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design
Design kit elements from Viva Artistry