Thank You So Much for Your Comments, it's lovely to see you here!

Sunday, 3 March 2013

What a week! (one the first..)

Just spent some time on a course, learning to adjust paper dress patterns to fit individual shapes. The last time I tried dress making I was in my twenties and finding a dressmaker's dummy, a new fangled thing made of metal loops like a medieval suit of armour, I put it on and pressed it to my shape. I then proceeded to make a garment, making sure it fitted exactly and not allowing for movement. I then squeezed into it and had to move around like a robot.
The course was interesting, we were given a half sized pattern to pin to calico, cut out and tailor tack. Learned how to avoid all my previous mistakes, now wondering when I shall ever have the time to actually make some  clothes....

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

When I was in my early 30s, I had a dummy made of pliable plastic. It was adjustable, but that didn't seem to help my dressmaking talents. Which apparently I had none of. Haha. But I tried, so that's the point, right?

Kudos to you for trying something anew again, Carole. I'm hoping for pictures later.

Rosalind Adam said...

I've never managed to make an item of clothing to fit except with knitting needles and wool. I'm about to embark on a crochet cardigan with recycled wool that isn't quite the correct thickness. This could be interesting.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Funnily enough, Joylene, I was looking out of the window this morning - we've had rain almost every day since last April - and it was sunny! The next thought was, MUST use that sewing machine I was given for Christmas. It's still in its box.... But determined to use my husband's kind Christmas present. My ambition is to make embroidery pictures, too. :0)

Carole Anne Carr said...

Know what you mean, Rosalind. I have recently done exactly the same sort of thing. Tried to make a knitted garment that is correct. Succeeded, but ruined it in the making up. That has now been mastered, but at the expense of the near perfect garment, it is now in the bin. At least I know that next time it will be more of a success. Good luck with your next experiment, wonderful being creative, isn't it. :0)

 
Design and Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design
Design kit elements from Viva Artistry